Tuesday, May 31, 2005

From Bad to Worse

Well our mighty Athletics finally stopped their losing streak. That's fine and dandy and I should probably be happy that we didn't lose again, but I'm not.

"Absolutely."
--Billy Beane, Monday night when asked if Macha's job was safe for the rest of the season
Another vote of confidence. I let the first one slide because I didn't believe him. I thought it was one of those "dreaded" votes of confidence.

"With all the injuries we've had, he shouldn't be on the hot seat. He should be bronzed."
--Billy Beane, on Ken Macha
I thought Billy was just being sly. So I read that literally. As if he really thought Macha should be dipped into a vat of molten bronze. I could even picture Kenny with that dopey look on his face, chewing vigorously on his Juicy Fruit, as he was being lowered toward his certain death. There would no sense of urgency and he explained in his whiny voice, "I'll be okay. Just gotta give it some time."

Wishful thinking, I guess.

Now I'm starting to think that Billy means it. And I don't particularly like that. When I started this whole "Fire Macha" campaign, I didn't think I'd have to put much effort into it. I figured I'd just have to make a couple of witty entries detailing the idiocy of our dimwitted manager and that a few weeks down the line Beane would take care of the rest. I now see that this isn't the case. Billy has sided with the enemy. Guess it's time to turn this bitch up a notch.

You wanna get crazy? Let's get crazy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess what? You get to keep "firemacha.com". Billy Beane re-hired him today to a 3 year deal! WOW. 3 more years of poor lineups, poor decisions, poor bullpen management. I can't wait.

Friday, October 14, 2005 1:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home