Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I Have Seen the Light

Injuries have taken on their toll on this club, but I didn't realize just how screwed we were until this past Sunday night.

"And the big bats are due up for the Athletics: Ellis, Chavez and Hatteberg."

--John Miller
Reality had just bitch-slapped me in the face. To an outside, impartial observer, Ellis, Chavy and Hatteberg are our big bats. I wanted to call him a dope. I wanted to call him a moron. But I couldn't. I instantly recognize the reality of our situation.

Because of the injuries and with Dan Johnson and Nick Swisher struggling, Mark Ellis, Eric Chavez and Scott Hatteberg ARE our big bats.

"We're fucked. Like REALLY fucked."

--Roman, to no one in particular
And just like that I turned off the game and left the room. We were already losing 6-2. The outcome wasn't in doubt.

I wasn't mad. I wasn't frustrated. I was depressed. And apparently I was really thirsty...'cause I proceeded to drink about 50 beers.

I wanted so badly to blame Macha. But I couldn't. It isn't his fault that Crosby, Kotsay, and Harden are all on the shelf. And now it looks like Kielty and Zito might miss some time too. Is that Macha's fault? Not unless pussiness is contagious.

Every time I want to be frustrated with this team, I have to remind myself that we weren't supposed to be good until 2006. If this team manages to overcome all these obstacles, I'll be pretty damn happy. But as of right now I'm pretty numb and resigned to the fact that we'll miss the playoffs. Again. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Anti-Blez said...

Ghostsofaspast sounds like another one of those Athletlics Nation/Billy Beane apologists. Man, weenie-wrist AN'ers make me ill. It's that same whiney voice over and over and over: "Could you really ask for anything more?"

Um, yes. Absoolutely! How about a trip to the playoffs? Even better, how about a series VICTORY in the ALDS? Something Billy Beane-breath hasn't been able to pull off in six years of playing with his Moneyballs.

No REAL fan of this team should be satisfied with anything LESS than a trip to the playoffs. Beano could have made a trade for a big bat during the off-season, but instead he put all of his Moneybawl faith into Durazo and Hatteberg and Chokey Chavez. Heck, Beano even failed to unload Byrnesie the Clown during the off-season, when that guy still had some trade value.

REAL fans of the A's should be outraged that Beano and Macha have basically sold the fans out in favor of their own self-serving careers.

Pathetic!

Tuesday, September 06, 2005 6:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but L said!

The deal was sealed when Crosby slid into Fasano. His absence has such a dramatic effect on the lineup. Yes we miss Harden and Kotsay, too, but the respective win percentages with Bobby in and out of the lineup are the only numbers you need to know. Not to mention Crosby easily makes two of the plays Scoot couldn't last night.

Still, worst team we're gonna have for the next 5 years.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005 12:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home