Thursday, June 23, 2005

Hey Now, You're a Moron

NEW YORK -- Detroit's Alan Trammell and Oakland's Ken Macha were selected as coaches Wednesday for the American League in next month's All-Star game by Boston manager Terry Francona.

Even though I hate the Boston Red Sox more than I hate Ken Macha, I really like Terry Francona. I remember watching one of those Spring Training previews on the Phillies back when he was their manager and being really impressed with what he had to say. He was so upbeat, so positive. And I'm sure he wasn't just saying all the right things because he was on TV. He was nothing but genuine. I've liked him ever since.

I also remember when Francona got fired. I was pretty pissed. I understood the move, but didn't agree with it (because Philly was gonna suck no matter who was managing them). After that, years went by before I heard another word about him. I don't remember his name ever coming up when another position opened up. I never saw him coaching third for another club. Maybe I just stopped paying attention, but he had fallen off the face of the earth for all I knew.

Then Ken Macha hired him to be his bench coach (Macha wasn't a moron back then). After all that time of not hearing a single word about Francona, I was thrilled. Then I read about all the shit he had gone through, and found myself respecting him even more. Then he got sick again and it looked as though he might join the team afterall.
"He called me up with about two weeks left until spring training. He said, 'I know you've been waiting a long time to manage a big-league team, and I don't want to screw that up for you. I'm not myself. I can't even throw batting practice. You better get someone else.'"

--Ken Macha
Thankfully, Macha waited for him and he recovered. And the rest is history.
"I told him, "Terry, I didn't hire you to throw batting practice. I hired you to be around our team, to let us pick your brain. I hired you because your demeanor is so positive, it can't help but rub off on people."

--Ken Macha
As much as I hated watching the Sox win the Series last year, I couldn't help but be a little happy for Francona. After all he had gone through, he really deserved it.

And now he's repaying the man that made it all possible.

Home-field advantage in the World Series is overrated anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Anti-Blez said...

Unbelievable, isn't it?

The A's will be represented in the midsummer classic by a moron (Macha) and a "mercy pick" (probably one of the relievers).

Ugh...

www.patheticsnation.com

Thursday, June 23, 2005 6:59:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'll admit that the first thing I thought of when I heard the news about Macha was "what is Roman's reaction?"

Friday, June 24, 2005 4:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home