Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Macha's Greatest Shits, Vol. 1


A's 13, Indians 4. Ok, I don't care how bad of a manager you are, there is not one move you can make that can be construed as incorrect when your team is up by 10 runs in the late innings. Put in the scrubs (Ginter? Check. Yabu? Check) and just get through the game. Not even Ken can fuck that up.

And since it certainly appears that Macha only has 2 months, 5 days, and the playoffs remaining with the title of Oakland Manager, I thought I'd take this opportunity to relive some of Macha's most egregious game-costing fuckups.

I think my favorite was the shit he pulled at the end-game scenario in Game 5 of the 2003 playoffs. First two batters walked, Ramon bunts them over. So far, so good. Jermaine Dye up. Now, Dye sucks. Nobody will dispute that. I hated him then, I hate him now, and I'm so glad he's gone. However, pinch hitting for him was idiotic because he was GOING TO BE INTENTIONALLY WALKED!! I mean, what was the fucking point? To stay out of a double play when the infield would be in? Christ, Ken. Also, with Chris Singleton and Terrence Long following, perhaps using Melhuse to PH for one of those worthless idiots would be a bit smarter. Just a bit. And who knows if Lowe would have still walked Singleton (or Melhuse, if he was pinch hitting), but if he did, that would have tied that game. I guess I just can't figure out why Macha would be against having another baserunner, and being able to use Melhuse for Singleton or (especially) Long instead of Dye.

Letting the season come down to a Terrence Long circa 2003 at-bat is completely indefensible on every level. That's my point. Macha fucked that up. And it (likely) cost us the ALCS.


So that's my worst Macha memory ever. What's yours?

2 Comments:

Anonymous ignoramus said...

everytime he leaves a pitcher in for far too long. i feel like i can hear the tendons in their elbow ripping as they give every pitch all they got. it makes my stomach turn.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 2:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Derek said...

Rincon vs. Village Idiot.

Not Macha- I mean the other Village Idiot.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005 3:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home